When your employee resigns
This might be a relief or a pain in the neck.
For a resignation to be valid, it needs to be in writing.
If the resignation is straightforward, with just “I am hereby giving you notice“, then you just need to
- – acknowledge the resignation.
- – work out their last working day. Do you want them to work their notice? You decide – but either way you will have to pay them.
- Exception: if they storm out in a huff, refusing to work
- – are they owed any holiday? If so, could they take it in the notice period? Then it is less for you to pay out.
- – letting everyone (who needs to know) know that this person is leaving. Agree with them the official reason that they will tell everyone.
- – starting the recruitment to find a replacement!
But what if it isn’t straightforward? Take a look at our other FAQs on resignation: